Getting migraine relief in Oklahoma City is not too hard if patients know where to seek help. Migraines can be a real challenge for people who suffer from them. They are an exceedingly debilitating neurological condition. At least 39 million people in the U.S. suffer from this illness. Worldwide, at least a billion experience it. Migraines hold a reputation of being the third most widespread illness globally.
- Migraines are ranked sixth as the most disabling condition in the whole world.
- One in every four households in America is suffering from migraines.
- Women have a predisposition to migraines three times more than men.
- As many as 90% of migraineurs have family members with the same condition.
- At least four million adults have chronic migraines.
- Even children can get migraines. As many as 10% of kids have them.
- Those with migraines are prone to have anxiety, sleep problems, and depression.
Types of Migraines
Migraines have two primary classifications:
- Migraine Without Aura
It is a prevalent kind of migraines. These don’t include any symptoms that warn of any impending attack.
- Migraine With Aura
This type of migraine is less common. However, it can show warning symptoms such as flashing light or curved lines, at least an hour or so before the start of a migraine episode.
Whichever type of migraines you have, you can get migraine relief in Oklahoma City through upper cervical chiropractic. We will talk more about this later.
Migraines: What Are They?
These are throbbing, pounding head pains that often come with these symptoms:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Sensitivity to light
- Visual disturbances
- Sensitivity to loud sounds
Migraines Have These Four Distinct Phases
Not every migraine patient will go through each of these phases.
- Premonition Phase
This stage includes changes in behavior and mood. It usually starts hours or days before the head pain begins.
- The Aura Phase
An aura is composed of a group of motor, sensory, or visual symptoms that occur just before the migraine attack. For example, you may feel muscle weakness, numbness, problems with your speech, and even hallucinations. Not everyone gets to experience this stage.
- The Head Pain Phase
It is the stage you experience the migraine episode, the head pain. It is usually throbbing, and pounding pain felt on one or both sides of the head. During this period, common symptoms may include anxiety, extreme fatigue, sensitivity to movement and bright light, and sometimes depression.
- Head Pain Resolution Phase (or Migraine Hangover)
At this stage, the pain may lessen or disappear, but might also be replaced with irritability, tiredness, and problem with concentration. However, in some cases, people would feel revived and refreshed.
How Are People With Migraines Get Diagnosed?
Doctors will check the medical history of a patient. They will check what symptoms their patients may have. Then a thorough medical exam will be conducted. These would include tests and procedures to help rule out any underlying causes. Some underlying migraine causes include misalignment in the top bones of the upper cervical spine.
To get migraine relief in Oklahoma City, it would be vital to have a record of your own. This way, you can track down your symptoms to provide accurate information to your doctor. This information will help formulate a proper care option that is best for your case. Here are some guidelines on what your migraine journal can include:
- Write down a timestamp of your migraine episodes.
- Also include the particular location of the pain in your head.
- Then describe how the head pain felt, and how long it lasted.
- Remember to include any prominent personality or behavior changes.
- Include a stress level record indicating how much stress you are dealing with daily.
- Also, write down how your migraines or headaches affect your sleeping routine.
- Record how your head pain changes whenever you change positions or move.
- Finally, try to remember and list down any incidents where you experienced any neck or head trauma or injury in the past.
Care Options for People With Migraines
There are certain vital factors to consider in creating an effective care plan for your migraines:
- Your age, overall health, and medical history
- The kind of migraines you have
- Your tolerance for specific procedures and therapies
- The frequency and severity of your migraine attacks
- Your personal choice or preference
When caring for your migraines, the primary goal is to stop them from occurring. Here are some suggestions you can implement to help you:
- Reduce or eliminate a significant amount of stress you experience in your life.
- Get your diet evaluated. Make sure you eat the right types of food to help your body function properly.
- Make a focused effort to exercise regularly.
- Start using cold packs applied to the neck or head. It can help reduce inflammation and pain.
- Always keep yourself well-hydrated because dehydration leads to more migraine attacks.
- Practice biofeedback training to help regulate your breathing.
- Avoid known triggers, such as particular food and beverages (aged cheeses, chocolate, aspartame, red wine, and MSG).
- Get adequate sleep at night or enough rest during the daytime.
- Avoid skipping meals regularly because it can lead to blood sugar lows.
- When a migraine hits, you can lie down in a dark, quiet, and cool room until the head pain goes away.
- Be sure to maintain good posture always. Also, have your upper cervical spine evaluated by a professional.
An upper cervical chiropractor provides migraine relief in Oklahoma City.
Natural Migraine Relief in Oklahoma City That Works
It is an excellent idea to make sure your upper cervical spine is aligned correctly. A misalignment in this region has links to migraine headaches. It is valid for a few critical reasons.
First, the C1 (atlas) and C2 (axis) vertebrae function to protect the brainstem. However, if they misalign due to an accident or injury involving the neck or head, they would put the brainstem under pressure and stress. As a result, the brainstem sends improper signals to the brain. Thus, it would cause migraine attacks.
Second, misalignment leads to a disruption to proper cerebrospinal fluid and blood flow. Thus, it reduces the amount of oxygen going to the brain, causing migraines episodes.
Here at Precision Chiropractic in Oklahoma City, OK, we use a non-invasive, safe, and gentle procedure that encourages the misaligned bones to move back into its proper position naturally. Our technique will never involve any popping, twisting, or cracking of the neck or spine. Upper cervical chiropractic care, specifically the NUCCA technique, is proven effective and safe in various case studies. Some patients experience significant improvement in as few as one or two visits to an upper cervical chiropractor.
Call us at 405-378-3100 or contact us to relieve your migraine with the help of the NUCCA technique.